Project Gutenberg offers over 40,000 free ebooks: choose among free epub books, free kindle books, download them or read them online.
We carry high quality ebooks: All our ebooks were previously published by bona fide publishers. We digitized and diligently proofread them with the help of thousands of volunteers.
No fee or registration is required, but if you find Project Gutenberg useful, we kindly ask you to donate a small amount so we can buy and digitize more books. Other ways to help include digitizing more books, recording audio books, or reporting errors.
Over 100,000 free ebooks are available through our Partners, Affiliates and Resources.
Visit self.gutenberg.org to see how Project Gutenberg is facilitating online publishing by contemporary authors. This new service is bringing the Project Gutenberg moniker to authors in virtually any genre or subject. The portal is open at self.gutenberg.org and invites all readers and publishers. All items are free to download and share. There is also an RSS feed, at [http:/self.gutenberg.org/rss/authors.aspx]
Memorial for Michael S. Hart (1947-2011)
Project Gutenberg's founder, Michael Hart, passed away September 6. Here is our brief obituary and related documents. Those considering a donation in Michael's memory are asked to use the regular Gutenberg donation methods to donate a small amount
The Online Book Catalog
- Book Search: Search for books.
- Recent Books: The latest books.
- Most Downloaded Books: The most popular books.
- Online Catalog: more ways to browse the book catalog.
- RSS Feed of recent eBooks, updated nightly.
- Top 100 Books and Authors: the most downloaded books and authors.
- Offline Catalogs: handy ebook Listings to consult offline.
- Report errors, bugs, typos (or, see detailed information about errata reporting)
- Audio Books, both human-read and computer-generated.
- CD and DVD Project. Download entire CDs or DVDs, or have a free disc sent to you.
- Digitized Sheet Music (dormant).
- Free Kindle Books: about free kindle books at Project Gutenberg.
- Mobile Reader Devices How-To: about kindle, nook, cell phone, and other mobile devices
- About Us: About Project Gutenberg.
- No Cost or Freedom? What does 'free ebook' mean?
- License and Trademark information: What you are allowed to do with the books you download.
- Linking Readme: Information for people who want to link to our site.
- Robot Readme: Information for people who want to robot our site.
- Donate: How to make a donation to Project Gutenberg.
- News and Newsletters: Our news site. Contains our monthly newsletter and archives.
- How-To's: In depth information about different topics.
- FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions.
- Partners, Affiliates and Resources: A collection of links.
- Credits: Thanks to our most prominent volunteers.
- Mailing lists: Join our mailing lists.
- Contact Information: How to get in touch.
- Volunteering. How you can help Project Gutenberg.
- Distributed Proofreaders. Help create an eBook. Getting started is easy, and just a page a day will help!
- LibriVox. Help record audio books by joining LibriVox.
- Provide missing pages. Help us complete projects. Take a look at our list of missing pages and find some for us.
- Promote Project Gutenberg on your web site.
The Project Gutenberg Wiki
The Project Gutenberg Wiki will become a place full of useful information to the ebook community. You are invited to contribute.